On June 10th the most romantic day of the year takes place at Skansen!
Our drop-in weddings have everything you need to make your day particularly memorable, with a variety of restaurants to choose from, help with your hair, nails and make-up, spectacular photo opportunities and atmospheric live music. Come dressed to impress or however you feel comfortable, either just the two of you or with all your friends and families in tow. This day is all about you and your love for each other!
In order to get married at a drop-in wedding at Skansen, you will need to bring:
- Valid ID
- Valid Certificate of No Impediment (2 sheets)
- Partnership certificate for registered partnership
- For church wedding ceremonies, you will need proof of membership confirming that you are a member of the Church of Sweden. For proof of membership, search for your home parish here: svenskakyrkan.se/sokforsamling. NB: Skansen is not part of a parish.
How it works
- At the wedding entrance, you should show your ID and Certificate of No Impediment (2 sheets), together with proof of membership from your home parish if you are having a church wedding ceremony.
- All couples will receive a ticket with a unique number.
- Once you have been given a number ticket, you should head to the wedding area at Tingsvallen next to Bollnäs Square. The easiest way to get there is via the escalator. Our queue hosts will be on hand to answer any questions you might have.
- Remember that there’s no need to rush – everyone will get married!
Tickets and entrance
The cost per couple is SEK 1500 which includes the entrance to Skansen. The wedding entrance is open from 10:00 to 15:00 with ceremonies continuing until everyone is married.
You can pre-buy your drop-in tickets for faster handling at the entrance. All wedding couples enter Skansen via the designated wedding entrance at the main entrance. The wedding entrance closes at 15:00 sharp, so be sure to arrive in time! Everyone who arrives by 15:00 is guaranteed to get married.
Wedding guests enter via Skansen’s other entrances and pay the regular entry charge, unless they have already bought an advance ticket.
Civil wedding ceremonies can be carried out in Swedish, English, French, German, Spanish, Persian and Greek.
Church wedding ceremonies can be carried out in Swedish and English.
The wedding area
The actual wedding area is outdoors at Tingsvallen, where there will be both civil and church registrars together with witnesses. When your number is called, you should take your place in the waiting marquee where our queue hosts will look after you. Guests should go to the special guest entrance alongside the waiting marquee. When it’s your turn, follow a host to your wedding location. The entire ceremony takes around ten minutes.
It may be that you have to wait a while before your turn. The waiting time can be anything from around 30 minutes up to a couple of hours at times. While you wait, you can take advantage of the various activities included in the wedding cost and other activities! (see Included in the wedding cost).
If there are 20 people or more in your group, contact the information centre at Tingsvallen for help finding the right wedding location.
Included in the wedding cost
There are many different activities around Tingsvallen and on Bollnäs Square that you can take advantage of while waiting for your turn or after your wedding. These activities are included in the wedding cost:
- In the changing tent on Bollnäs Square, you can get help changing into your wedding dress or other clothing. You can also get help with simple sewing such as sewing on a button or stitching a seam.
- Making a birch leaf wreath. Our skilled wreathmakers will help you.
- Make-up artists, hair stylists and nail stylists will be on hand to help with simple make-up, hair styling and nails.
- In the music tent, you can choose music from a wedding repertoire.
- Activities for children on the Bollnäs dance square.
Other activities at an additional fee
- A variety of wedding flower bouquets for sale from florists.
- Beautiful accessories and items for sale at the market square.
- Wedding photographer Kicki Fotograf is on location to take your photo with no need to book in advance. Photo shoot and 10 high resolution photos is 3495 SEK. Photo shoot, 10 10 high resolution photos+ 2 prints in 20×30 cm is 3995 SEK.
- Take a ride with a horse drawn carriage! A ride costs 100 SEK and starts from Seglora Church, between 13-15.
Food and drink
At Skansen, we have a number of restaurants serving delicious food, several of which will have special drop-in wedding offers.
- Restaurang Solliden offers a 3 course dinner in their beautiful dining room and needs to be booked in advance. For more information and booking, contact email@example.com
- Våffelbruket offers wedding waffles with soft ice cream and berries
- Champagne with love fika/kärleksfika at Skansen Terrassen
Information will be updated continuously.
Can you book an appointment for your wedding?
Unfortunately, you cannot book a fixed time for your wedding, it is drop-in that applies.
How long the wait will be depends on how many copules that wants to get married. While you wait, there are a variety of activities you can indulge in!
Can you choose a wedding officiant?
No. The wedding is officiated by the officiant who is free when it’s you turn to be wed.
We have our children with us. Can they enter Skansen with us?
Accompanying children up to the age of 15 can enter Skansen with you and then pay the standard entrance fee.
We have many guests with us, will everyone be able to see and hear the wedding?
There is room for wedding guests between the wedding tents, but if you are a large group it can get a little crowded and difficult to see and hear. Groups of up to about 20 people work best around the tents.
If there wedding party is more than 20, it is good that you register at the information stand on site when you arrive. Then we can make sure that you end up in one of the tents with the most space, that accommodates larger groups.
It is possible that there may be a slightly longer waiting time if you are part of a large group.
Should you bring ID?
What happens if you miss your time slot?
Upon arrival you will receive a number slip in the entrance and an approximate time (of 1-2 hours) for your wedding. At the party venue, the numbers are then called out in groups (“Now it’s time for numbers 20-30”) and the bride(s) and groom(s) must then stand in line together with the others in the same group.
If you miss your time within the group, just stand last in the group queue. If you miss your group, you can jump into the following group. You won’t end up at the very back of the long queue, but it may take some extra time.
Can we bring our own witnesses?
Yes, you can. Inform the wedding officiant who they are directly on site in the wedding tent.
How does the singing tent work?
There is a list to choose songs from in the song tent. You don’t need to tell us in advance which song you want.
Can you change into wedding attire?
Yes, at Tingsvallen there is a tent with mirrors for changing. Fabric sheets are hung between the changing places so you can change in privacy.
Unfortunately, there is no possibility of storage, all belongings must be taken out from the tent.
Can we borrow chairs for those having trouble standing?
Yes, at each wedding venue there are two folding chairs to borrow during the wedding ceremony. However, these can not be moved to another location. On Bollnäst Square and around Skansen there are plenty of benches to sit on.
Can you get the marriage ceremony and marriage certificate in another language?
Yes, the marriage certificate can be obtained in English and Finnish. The languages in which the ceremony can be performed can be found in the information above.
How and when is the marriage registered and is the marriage certificate a legal document we can use?
When the wedding is completed, the wedding officiant fills out the paper which is then sent to the Swedish Tax Agency, who then registers the wedding in the civil registry. In the summer when there are many weddings, registration can sometimes take several weeks.
When the marriage is registered you can order a family certificate yourself on the Tax Agency’s website, which is the legal document that shows that you are married. The document is sent home to your registered address and can also be ordered in English.
We want to renew our vows, do we need to bring anything with us?
No, not really, since you are already married. If you want, you can bring the marriage certificate or a copy of it, but it is not necessary.
When you arrive at the wedding entrance, you announce that you want to renew your vows.
More questions? Contact Us!
Contact us if you didn’t find the answer to your question, on firstname.lastname@example.org